[Tinyos-devel] Multihop constants

Philip Levis pal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 29 15:14:19 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 29, 2004, at 02:54 PM, polastre at eecs.berkeley.edu
wrote:

> Some of them are modifyable through an interface (like the time
> between route update messages).  It may just be an issue that more of
> them should be modifiable through that interface.

Sure, you can change some of them at runtime... but I'm wondering why
the default constants can't be modified, if there's any reason for
their being enums. Runtime configuration is useful, of course, but it's
nice to also be able to configure things at compile time. Additionally,
run-time requires state (RAM). It seems kind of wasteful, for example,
to store  a tree root address in RAM.

> Things like table size are kind of odd to specify.

Not when the default is 16 entries! I thought you wanted to cut down
RAM consumption. The defaults for multihop lead to about 1.3K of RAM
usage, just for routing. You can configure the QueuedSend queue length
and multihop forwarding queue length at the command line, but not the
neighbor table size or tree root.

Phil

-------

"We shall not cease from exploration