[Tinyos-devel] the MPS430 sleep model and start/stop behavior

David Gay dgay42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 09:40:15 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:39:09 -0800, Yuval Peduel
<yuvalpeduel at digitalsun.com> wrote:
> David Gay noted that power management is, of necessity, a
> platform-specific task. At the lowest level, he is clearly correct.
> However, I am hoping that there is some way to standardize how sleep
> readiness and sleep/wakeup constraints get communicated within each
> system so that we don't need to implement separate versions of every
> module for every platform.

My understanding of the current consensus for 2.x is:
- init has been removed from Std/SplitControl
- Std/SplitControl is (still) the standard way of dealing with
starting and stopping devices. There has been some discussion of the
sharing issues (i.e., the need for counting start/stops); I'm not sure
what the "official" conclusion is here.
- the low-level details of how this leads to lower power usage are
platform/chip specific.

> Perhaps this is just a pipe dream, but as this group is supposed to be
> addressing a major cleanup of TinyOS for rev 2, this seemed a good place
> to ask.

It will happen. It just hasn't been fully done/documented yet.

> Good. But I'm a newbie to this list. Am I allowed access to the
> archives? The message I got from Kristin Wright said:
>
> >After invoking the silence-infers-agreement rule regarding yesterday's
> >mail (below), tinyos-devel at mail.millennium.berkeley.edu is now
> >officially open and public. Anyone can join tinyos-devel and the
> >archives are private.
> >
> so if they are private, it isn't clear that I do have access.

I strongly suspect a typo (Kristin?). Why don't you try? Also, the
relevant archives are the working group ones, which are definitely
supposed to be public (membership to the list is restricted, to keep
things focused, but all the archives are open).

David