[Tinyos-devel] how to prevent inlining?

Joe Polastre joe at polastre.com
Thu Sep 8 13:14:55 PDT 2005

Hey compiler gurus,

  I would like to instruct the compiler to NOT inline a function due
to space limitations; in other words, to fit on devices with very
limited flash where performance is not an issue.

  nesC assigns the 'inline' keyword to everything, so I figure this is
probably not possible without editing app.c.  With gcc, I can set the
-finline-limit option to a low value to prevent inlining on large
functions, but it seems to have little effect if the 'inline' keyword
is placed in front of a function.

  Do I now need a keyword, 'noinline' that forces nesC to not inline
the function and allows me to save flash storage?

  Ideas?

-Joe