[Tinyos-devel] building the msp430 compiler and libc

Jan Beutel j.beutel at ieee.org
Thu Jun 21 12:37:27 PDT 2007

hello all,

i noticed that when building gcc-3.2.3 and msp430-libc from scratch on a
"current" linux system (in my case this is gentoo linux) there are a
number of problems:

- gcc-3.2.3 does not build on gcc-4.x (only on gcc-3.x) (for an msp430
target).

- msp430-libc does not build (neither the CVS tag that is contained in
the current rpms nor the current CVS head) without minor patching.

- the rest of the toolchain (avr related stuff, nescc and
msp-430-binutils compile ok on both debian and gentoo.

so my question was if we want to stay with these rather old compiler
versions forever or update at some point? both avr and msp toolchains
have advanced significantly over the last years. i could imagine that
especially john regehr's endeavor for an improved toolchain and also the
xubuntos reference install could benefit from "more modern" and cleaner
tools (without patches)

i can only comment on the avr side of things since i only have limited
experience with msp. but migrating to a newer libc and usually also to a
newer gcc is pretty painless for the large amount of the codebase. of
course there is a catch here and there but most of it is just changed
locations of some libc includes.... (i draw this experience from
maintaining and overseeing the btnode project sw and tools)

but of course changes to the tools should not be done on a regular
basis.

jan

Dr. Jan Beutel                              j.beutel at ieee.org
Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory, ETZ G75
ETH Zurich                             +41 44 632 70 32 Phone
Gloriastrasse 35                         +41 44 632 10 35 Fax
CH 8092 Zurich/Switzerland  http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~beutel