[Tinyos-devel] building the msp430 compiler and libc

Philip Levis pal at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 21 13:17:54 PDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Jan Beutel wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i noticed that when building gcc-3.2.3 and msp430-libc from scratch
> on a
> "current" linux system (in my case this is gentoo linux) there are a
> number of problems:
>
> - gcc-3.2.3 does not build on gcc-4.x (only on gcc-3.x) (for an msp430
> target).
>
> - msp430-libc does not build (neither the CVS tag that is contained in
> the current rpms nor the current CVS head) without minor patching.
>
> - the rest of the toolchain (avr related stuff, nescc and
> msp-430-binutils compile ok on both debian and gentoo.
>

> so my question was if we want to stay with these rather old compiler
> versions forever or update at some point? both avr and msp toolchains
> have advanced significantly over the last years. i could imagine that
> especially john regehr's endeavor for an improved toolchain and
> also the
> xubuntos reference install could benefit from "more modern" and
> cleaner
> tools (without patches)
>
> i can only comment on the avr side of things since i only have limited
> experience with msp. but migrating to a newer libc and usually also
> to a
> newer gcc is pretty painless for the large amount of the codebase. of
> course there is a catch here and there but most of it is just changed
> locations of some libc includes.... (i draw this experience from
> maintaining and overseeing the btnode project sw and tools)
>
> but of course changes to the tools should not be done on a regular
> basis.

I think there's general consensus that it would be nice to upgrade
the toolchain. The problem is that nobody wants to support it. The
only reason the current toolchain is stable is because David Gay
supported it for two years or so and worked out all the kinks. He's
stated emphatically that he won't do so again.

If you wanted to take this on, I'm sure you'd have a lot of support
in the core WG.

Phil