[Tinyos-devel] building the msp430 compiler and libc

Vlado Handziski handzisk at tkn.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 21 14:05:20 PDT 2007

The recommended versions of the msp430 tools (gcc 3.2.3 and gdb 5.1.1.)
should compile cleanly with gcc 3.4 that (although not as default) is still
available as package on most of the current distros. Looking at the
discussions on the mspgcc mailing list, fixing the gcc-4.x compile problems
are not so high on the agenda. This especially goes for the gdb that
requires more work.

The best thing that we can do is to periodically refresh the RPMs to include
the latest patches. But the majority of the fixes during the last year were
not directly related to the particular MCU models currently used on the
tinyos platforms (apart from several small fixes in the libc header files),
or to the 2-3 bugs that we have hit in tinyos code (like the HW
multiplication bug, the 32x32 bug, etc),  so no one  had a strong incentive
to do it (together with the testing, etc. that is the actual hard part).

Vlado