[Tinyos-devel] platforms with 4 leds

Philip Levis pal at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 22 09:09:03 PDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Jan Beutel wrote:

> while reviving the btnode3 platform support i created a patch to
> support
> 4 leds (yes there are such paltforms) and added this to app/Blink.
>
> as i can't compile all platforms i am not checking it in yet... maybe
> some of the more exotic platform maintainers can check this out and
> let
> me know if things work out. i have tried mica2 and mica2dot, telos and
> btnode3

There are also platforms that have more than 4 LEDs... the Dust Blue
mote, for example, had 7. The mica2dot, on the other hand, only has 2
(or am I mistaking it for the dot)?

We've run around in circles on the LEDs question a lot. The
conclusion was as Vlado says; the HIL is three LEDs, and platforms
that have more can have an HAL. It's better to have an HIL that is a
least common divisor than one which covers all cases but is partially
non-functional.

One direction the discussion went down was having an individual
interface per LED. It seemed like three wirings just to blink three
LEDs (or 4 for 4) was really overkill, though. This led to the
discussion of whether there should be an interface hierarchy
abstraction in nesC. E.g., you can have an interface which is made up
of sub-interfaces:

interface Leds {
   interface Led as LedOne;
   interface Led as LedTwo;
   interface Led as LedThree;
}

but the consensus was that such a narrow case didn't quite motivate
such a large language change.

Please don't patch the Leds interface.

Phil