[Tinyos-devel] create T2 platform variants or sensor apps?

John Griessen john at ecosensory.com
Fri Jun 29 15:52:27 PDT 2007

I've worked through some of the platform tutorial for TinyOS 2.0 and am looking for
some guide about the meaning of TOSH_ASSIGN_PINS(name, 1, 2).  Is it just microprocessor ports and bits
that the two numbers describe?  I'm making a telosb platform variant.   The TinyOS Programming guide seems aimed at
higher levels of abstraction than that.

Should you make a platform variant for adding more used IO's and allowing form more sensor apps?  From Phil Levis's remark, "In
TinyOS, if you don't have a hardware resource, you don't have it; the system won't let you compile.", I think yes, you make a
platform variant rather than just a sensor app for  a 12 channel soil moisture sensor board.

Where do you draw the line on creating a platform or a sensor app?

A T2 example of a sensor that uses outputs to set up and ADC inputs to
take readings (like a humidity sensor) would help me
make the 12 channel soil moisture sensor app that times the excitation of one bank of six, then reads in, then
changes banks,times the excitation of bank 2, reads in and completes.  So, I'm going to look at tinyos-2.x/tos/chips/sht11 and
tinyos-2.x/tos/platforms/telosa/chips/sht11.  Any other pointers to T2 sensor examples much appreciated.

John Griessen

Ecosensory
Austin Texas

ecosensory.com