[Tinyos-devel] Contributing code: TOSSIM with CC2420 support

Philip Levis pal at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 13 23:06:11 PST 2012

On Feb 13, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Srikanth Nori wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question on contributing code to TinyOS. (My apologies in
> advance if I have posted this to the wrong mailing list)
>
> We have made some changes to the TinyOS hosted off the Google code
> repository to enable CC2420 simulation on TOSSIM.
>
> We took the changes from
> http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/git/?p=mike/tinyos-2.x.git and ported them
> over onto a version of TinyOS that we pulled from the Google code
> repository about 2-3 months ago.
>
> We have done some verification: Existing apps like RadioCountToLeds,
> EasyCollection, etc run on both TOSSIM and micaZ. Newer apps that we
> wrote that utilize CC2420 features also work on micaZ motes and
> TOSSIM. We would like to make this available for anyone who might want
> to use it, and to get feedback about the code from other developers.
>
> How do we go about adding contributions to the newer repository?
>
> I see instructions here
> (http://docs.tinyos.net/tinywiki/index.php/Contributing_Code_to_TinyOS)
> for the older SourceForge repository, but I am not sure what the
> current policies are for Google code repository.
>
> Just for reference - the complete TinyOS source tree in its current
> form with CC2420/TOSSIM support is available here:
> http://anrg.usc.edu/www/index.php/Downloads - see item 20.

TinyOS contrib -- external projects that do not track with TinyOS releases -- are still on Sourceforge. The main tree is on Google Code. If you want your code to be in the main tree, then it would need to be sponsored by a working group (in this case, core). The benefit of being in the main tree is, well, it's in the main tree so everyone has the code by default. The drawback is that you have a much greater obligation to fix bugs promptly and for testing on releases.

If you want to be in the main tree, contact me off-list. I can bring it up with the core WG on a call soon, although it might not be for a little bit. Right now we're finally getting to testing 2.1.2.

Phil