[Tinyos-help] Timing in TinyOS 1.1

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jan 14 10:40:01 PST 2004

Here's how we've gotten extremely accurate times for stuff happening on
motes with near zero perturbation of the software:

1. Find somebody in your local ECE or EE department who'll loan you an old
logic analyzer.  Figure out how to use it.

2. Figure out how to hook into some of the AVR's pins.  This requires tiny
little clips but isn't difficult.

3. Write a bit of software to set an external AVR I/O pin high when you
want to start timing and low when you want to stop.  Logic analyzers are
built to measure durations like this so now you're all set.

The only real problem with this strategy is that since there are at least
three computers involved -- the host PC, the analyzer, and one or more
motes -- it's very hard to automate anything.

John

John Regehr, regehr at cs.utah.edu
Assistant Professor, School of Computing, University of Utah