[Tinyos-help] question on tinyos uart

David Doolin doolin at ce.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:41:15 PST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 ysun2 at nd.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions on the mica2 uart configuration.
>
> 1. How to set the uart configuration as 9600 Baud, 8 bit, 1 start bit, 2 stop
> bit, no parity. We cannot find the clear explaination about the paramters in
> the HPLUART.nc & HPLUARTOM.nc files.

The relevant comments have, unfortunately, been removed from
tos/platform/mica2/HPLUART0M.nc and HPLUART1M.nc.

You will also notice that HPLUART1M.nc is broken by
not matching the updated interface for tos1.1.

You will also notice that the baud must be
(most inconveniently) changed manually in the source
module, which hurts when not using the default
setting.

For the relevant comments, look at HPLUART1M.nc here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/firebug/fireboard/fireboard/sensors/leadtek9546/

Have fun,

Dave Doolin

ps: You might also consider how having two uarts on
the mica2 lends itself to a parameterized interface,
and how handy it would be for the uart interface to
allow apps to set all the stuff like baud, parity,
etc etc etc so that source files in the tos tree
don't have to be modified, or copied away from the
tree and maintained in parallel.