[Tinyos-help] RE: [Tinyos] MSP430 Port

Vlado Handziski handzisk at tkn.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 21 15:51:41 PST 2004

Hi,

in the framework of the EYES project (http://www.eyes.eu.org) we have
developed two prototype sensor nodes based on the TI MSP430x149. One of them
uses a RFM radio, the other an Infineon TDA5250.

We have _very early_ alpha code that introduces a new TinyOS platform and
partially wraps the MSP430 and the other peripherals. We tried to leverage
the existing HPL code form the micas and introduce only the necessary changes
to get the stuff running. We were planning to work a bit more on the code
before we go public, but since there is an obvious interest and to avoid
duplicate efforts, we are going to check in what we have to the
tinyos1.x/contrib/eyes directory till the end of the week.

The code requires that the msp430-gcc toolchain is installed, by following the
instructions on http://cdk4msp.sourceforge.net/ for example.

Then one has to patch nesc to add a new machine target (we have a patch
against v1.1.1beta1). According to some info this might not be required with
the next versions of nesc.

As nesc introduces $ signs in the labels, the msp430-as from the binutils has
to be patched (just one undefine in the config files)

You can then check contrib/eyes/tos/platform for an example of how
the .platform, hardware.h and the various HPLs look like. From peripherals,
what we have right now is timer, usarts and preliminary adc support. The rest
are HPLs for the Infineon radio control and comm.

Best regards,
Vlado Handziski