[Tinyos-help] Re: [Tinyos] MSP430 Port

David Culler culler at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 22 08:56:47 PST 2004

Here's background on MSP430.  We considered it strongly before doing
Mica, but we rejected it because the tool chain was problematic.  Jason
Hill did a preliminary port using a proprietary C compiler.  Bosch did a
design with it and pushed through some of the compiler issues using the
0.6 TOS distribution.  Since then a GCC for the MSP was released.  Dust
Inc. used that for their initial Blue product.  Today there are two
options.  The most straightforward is the GCC path.  Nesc compiles to C
so it is also possible to use a non-GCC compiler.  The Berkeley folks
did that using code-warrior for the Motorola.  Being a fairly green tool
chian, they ran into a handful of frustrating issues.  This is leading
them to consider switching over the the TI MSP, which is competitive in
many ways with the Motorola option, at least if they overcome the memory
limitations in future designs.

So, compiling for the TI part is no big deal.  With all ports, there are
a set of low-level components that encapsulate the hardware interface,
including clock, lowest-level radio, and ADC.  With time we are
improving the hardware abstraction layer.  Several groups have such
components for the MSP part, but none of them have been kicked in to the
  TinyOS site.  If someone is interested in doing that, we would be
happy to help do the cleanup so that it could be an established platform.