[Tinyos-help] BusyWait

Eric Decker cire831 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:27:01 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM, Default <simonegalli at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I'm new to tinyOS and I have to implement a project in it and i have a
> problem.
> I want that in my project the nodes wait a random time before sending their
> messages, I read online that maybe i have to use the BusyWait interface,
> but
> i can't find any good example to how use it.

What exactly did you read that gave you the impression you should use
BusyWait for this need?

BusyWait is NOT what you want.   BusyWait as the name implies sits and
waits for the specified
amount of time to pass.   It is not a good use of resources.

It exists for the rare cases where one really needs to wait for a small
amount of time and the overhead
of the rest of the timing system is too painful.

It should NOT in general be used generally.  It is a special case only and
you really need to know what
the trade offs are before using it.

For general timing needs one should be using TMilli or TMicro timers.
 Perferably TMilli because that has less demand on the underlying
resources.

> Can someone help me? (if there is another way instead of using busyWait
> there is no problem)
>
> thanks to all, regards.

Eric B. Decker
Senior (over 50 :-) Researcher